Episode #7: The man behind 'Quality timepieces without all of the hype' - Chris Vail of NTH Watches...
Next to feature in our ongoing series of 15 Questions With is Chris Vail. Chris is probably best known for his work in the watch industry where he has built up the NTH microbrand. Based out of America, NTH has been his baby ever since 2016 as he continues to develop the brand positioning every day. This isn't the first time we've heard from Chris as he recently featured in an episode of our Time To Unwind podcast here.In fact, we are also the exclusive sole distributors of NTH watches which you can find right here.
Anyway, let's get into 15 Questions With Chris Vail!
1. Let’s start with something everyone is always interested in, what’s on your wrist at the time of writing this?
I hate to disappoint everyone but actually nothing! I tend not to wear a watch while working on my laptop. But if it still counts, the last watch I wore was my Scorpène Blue.
2. What was the first watch you remember that left an impact on you?
Definitely the Casio AMW-320 "Arnie" with champagne dial.
3. How did you start working in and around watches?
I was in the unfortunate position where I'd just lost my job and I was looking for a business I could start and run from my home. Two days later, the battery in my watch died. It was that cliché moment of the lightbulb turning on over my head. I started researching all I could about the watch industry, the market and the community surrounding it. Within just one month, I knew I would start a watch company.
Finish the following sentences:
4. The best-kept secret in watches is...
How much of the production of watches is done in China; even for "Swiss Made" watches and various luxury brands.
5. The one watch that got away from me was…
The Seiko SARB005.
6. If I wasn’t working in watches, I’d be working in…
More than likely some sort of B2B sales.
7. What is one thing you think is missing from the watch industry today?
More choices for affordable mechanical movements.
8. Tell us about one watch that took your breath away recently?
The Minase Divido.
9. What is your most prized possession in your collection?
My grandfather's old two-tone quartz Seiko dress watch.
10. Date or no date?
11. What was your most recent watch purchase?
I added a Blue v.2 DevilRay to the NTH collection last year. Does that count?
12. And the next watch you’ll be adding to your collection?
If you're a fan of the NTH Sub, I think you'll like what we have coming!
13. What is something you feel passionate about in the world of watches?
Getting all of the little details right in a design.
14. What is one piece of advice for people out there looking to make it in the world of horology and watches?
I'd recommend taking courses in business finance and basic accounting.
15. Tell us about something you’re working on that is really exciting?
Recently we've been playing with the idea of making something that isn't a diving watch, but rather harkens back to some of the more eccentric designs of the 1970s - stay tuned!We'd like to take this moment to thank Chris for his time and for featuring on 15 Questions With. To check out everything about NTH make sure to check out his website here.
Alternatively, if you'd like to make an NTH watch yours we are officially the sole UK distributor! Check out our curated range here.
Interested in hearing more about NTH? Have a read of our coverage below:
Now pay attention, watch fans .. Swatch has (in)famously certainly been at the forefront of watch industry headlines over the last year or so, with the launch of the controversially ‘Marmite’ MoonSwatch (a very clever Omega x Swatch...
In the past, the realm of horology has predominantly catered to men. It was men that had the financial independence to purchase extravagant new timepieces and display them on their wrists as symbols of wealth,...