Episode #1: The watch obsessed, incredibly kind and vastly talented Justin Hast...
To kick off '15 Questions With' we wanted to start with a true gent of the industry, Mr Justin Hast. He is a man who wears a lot of hats when it comes to watches including being a photographer, writer, consultant, published author of 'The Watch Annual' (it's a great book, get yourself one), a style council member for Mr Porter, Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève academy member and above all else simply a friendly, passionate watch fan.
Justin is someone I've spoken to many times online about all manner of watches and watch related topics so it was only right we included him on '15 Questions With'.
Let's jump straight into it...
1. Let’s start with something everyone is always interested in, what’s on your wrist at the time of writing this?
Oh - it's a beauty! ...a platinum Master Ultra Thin Jubilee from Jaeger LeCoultre
2. What was the first watch you remember that left an impact on you?
Oh man...It's between two. The original IWC Portuguese Chrono (steel with gold numerals) - I spotted it on the wrist of a mentor of mine, an uncle figure, a man of class. It was just so perfect in proportion and from a name I wasn't hugely aware of at the time - I thought that was cool. The second is also an IWC, it was a Top Gun Chrono - I was on holiday in Marrakech and spotted it on a dude at the hotel. He was backpacked up and looked like he was off to climb mountains - enjoyed his vibe and loved the stealthy look of the Top Gun.
3. How did you start working in and around watches?
I was so in love with them, I just wanted to be around them, to learn about them and to share pics. I was like a bad smell around the boutiques in London, just hanging around, helping out where I could with articles or pics. Never in a million years did I ever think it might be a full-time gig. That was 10 years ago.
Finish the following sentences:
4. The best-kept secret in watches is…
Vintage Asprey co-signed pocket watches
5. The one watch that got away from me was
The IWC Rodeo Drive BP Pilot
6. If I wasn’t working in watches, I’d be working in…
7. What is one thing you think is missing from the watch industry today?
A mega, one-week event...
8. Tell us about one watch that took your breath away recently?
Rexhep Rexhepi Chronomètre Contemporain
9. What is your most prized possession in your collection?
10. Date or no date?
11. What was your most recent watch purchase?
12. And the next watch you’ll be adding to your collection?
Ooh...don't do that to me! A Ressence Type 1...possibly
13. What is something you feel passionate about in the world of watches?
The people that work on them, diligently, quietly, without fan fair - bringing them back to life
14. What is one piece of advice for people out there looking to make it in the world of horology and watches?
Share what you love, buy what you love and never take it too seriously
15. Tell us about something you’re working on that is really exciting?
I've been working on two films for Faberge watches which I'm really excited about.
We'd like to take this moment to thank Justin for his time and for featuring on 15 Questions With.
Share this post